- 1 ½ c whole milk
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 tbsp cold butter, cubed
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup strawberries, quartered
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 cup blackberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 large lemon, juiced and zested
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 container of Kim and Jake's Italian Cream Cookies
- Whipped cream - optional
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks, cornstarch, salt and sugar until it becomes pale yellow. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, warm the milk until it starts to boil then remove from heat. Ladle the milk slowly into the egg mixture and stir until fully incorporated. Repeat until the milk is fully combined with the yolks. Transfer the mixture back into the saucepan and simmer on low heat, stirring constantly. Stir until it thickens then remove from heat. Transfer back into the mixing bowl and cover the custard with plastic wrap, making sure to press the plastic wrap so that it touches the custard. This prevents a film from forming on the custard. Place in the fridge and let cool for at least an hour.
- For the fruit topping, combine all the berries, sugar, lemon juice, and lemon zest in a medium bowl, mix well and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- For assembly, crumble the Italian cream cookies and cover the bottom of the serving glass. Layer in the custard then top with more cookies, whipped cream if using, and the mixed berries. Serve cold.